Monday 12 November 2012

Calligraphy: From China with Love (and lots of practice)

I absolutely LOVE calligraphy.  I'm completely obsessed.  I could just sit at the desk for hours with my instructor and practice my lines for hours and hours and not think about anything else.  I was talking about this with a friend and coworker today and we had marveled at the realization that it's almost like going into a different world when we practice calligraphy.  We decided to follow through on an idea to have a calligraphy party!  No, this isn't a real raver/thriller/skins style/aggressive bash we're talking about, we want this to be the kind of thing your grandmother would enjoy.  That's right, we're kind of nerdy but we love it, because we love calligraphy and we want to sit around a big table with an infinitely long zen music playlist, our wolf/sheep haired calligraphy brushes and ink and practice over a nice cup of green tea.  I'm really looking forward to it!  In the meantime, you can take a look at a bunch of the photos we took from today.  You can see my instructor in one of them.  His name is Guo Wei and he is the model of inspiration for many of us since he runs marathons, bikes thousands of kilometers, and is a master at Tai Chi and calligraphy.  You wouldn't necessarily think it just from looking at him, but oh boy is he an incredible man.










2 comments: