Monday 22 October 2012

Double Dare

Have you ever eaten a scorpion?
How about a starfish?
I dare you.


There's a place in Beijing where the crowds get so thick that you get swept away if you get caught in the thick of things without direction.  There are so many places to spend money here, in great big malls that surround you or an extensive network of alleyways filled with merchants who sell every kind of food item you can imagine as well as toy, fabric, and game.  My roommate and I ventured here on the subway and we split a skewer of scorpions and a starfish.  The scorpions tasted like bacon to me since they were fried in really hot oil (probably pig's fat in there) and the starfish wasn't so tasty to me.  It had this aftertaste that kind of turned me off and the texture was pretty gummy and chewy.  I have realized on this trip that I'm not such a big of things from the sea.
I would eat scorpion again, though.
Want to split one with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment