Saturday 6 October 2012

Back from Beijing

and feeling pretty...tired, put simply.  For the past few days I've been just relaxing after a very crowded and fast-paced trip to the crazy city that is Beijing.  Going back to work again is really the biggest thing on my mind now, but once I get back into the groove of things again I'll give you all very detailed accounts of everything that happened-with pictures!! (and some pretty crazy things happened!  hints: unlikely food choices, terrifying heights, and street wanderings...)
In the meantime, I have like 4 college classes to make lesson plans for.  Not really so excited about that, but hey, it's a tough job and somebody's gotta do it.
Tonight, my roommate and I were chilling in our apartment.  Actually, we were thinking of maybe going out when, of all the most coincidental timings imaginable, there comes a knock on our door.
Wait, before I continue this story, I think I have to make it clear to you just how big of a deal that is to have someone knock on our door.
We live on the SIXTH floor of our building.  Highest floor.  (extra points if you remember elevators are just not a thing here!!)  Our building requires a key to enter it and then another key to get into each apartment (naturally) so we thought it was either some of our neighbours or I thought maybe it was some guy who doesn't speak English who once rang our apartment bell for a long time, maybe he was supposed to deliver something to this apartment (mom, dad, ahem?)...
Anyway, I thought it was another confused delivery guy or something only it was like 8PM and nobody delivers anything at that time.  We both look at each other apprehensively and I open the door and IT'S COLLIN alright we can all relax and have a good time.  Collin is a guy who works at the Canadian international school here in Weifang and he's a great guy.  He's come to invite us to that bar called Backyard but we (him, our Canadian neighbours, and some other people) ended up chilling in our apartment and we talked for like an hour about our trips.  They just got back from Shanghai and Yunan where they climbed the Tiger Leaping Gorge and I saw the pictures and I freaked out because that place looks incredibly terrifying (and trust me, I had been through a terrifying but amazing experience doing the great wall... so I know how crazy things can get in China).
These people are all fearless!  More on that later.
Anyway, everyone had an amazing holiday.  We all went to backyard and stayed there for hours.  I feel great, we all chatted and caught up on our adventures.  The people who went to Beijing with us (other BC teachers) were all there too.
I feel so great I'll post a photo of my happy self before going to bed!!  I got a haircut yesterday and, yeah, it's a little different than what I'd normally get but it looks good and that's the peacoat I bought at the designer market in Beijing (did I mention it was a great bargain?  More on bargaining in China later...)
All right, my dearest friends, acquaintances, children, lovers, and creeds.  I am tired.  It is late.  I am signing off for now but I can't wait to tell you all about my adventures in Beijing.
Ta ta for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment