Monday 17 September 2012

Things I Bought Today


  • A loofah and some body wash.  I want my soap to last longer and it doesn't do a great job of really massaging my sweaty, gross skin after each day that I go oot and aboot.
  • Some ink, a brush, some calligraphy paper, and I took a stray cardboard box (with their permission) from this store on campus so that I could practice calligraphy at home.  I just need to buy a book that shows you some poems you can write (and preferably get someone to translate them for me!)  The cardboard box was to put underneath my paper to catch any stray ink.  All of this cost just ten quai (just over a dollar Canadian).
  • A really amazing mango ice cream treat.  It was too good.  It probably had a ton of gelatin in it.  Meh.
  • I BOUGHT SUBWAY omg it was so delicious I really missed some western style ingredients for my lunch.  I got a footlong club sandwich and ate it up in a bite.  Literally.      (almost)
Things I need to buy:

  • A towel.  Winter is coming.  I only have one and apparently it will take forever for it to dry when it is cold out.
  • Food and other amazing things at this awesome grocery store some other people showed me near the downtown part of Weifang.  There was cereal there :O
  • Real, fresh milk and yogurt without any preservatives/other stuff added from a little store right near our apartments, which they also showed us today.  Apparently a ginormous tub of fresh yogurt costs just 5 quai there O_O  I am actually freaking out I need to go buy this to go with my future cereal.  And fruit.  I tried this weird fruit that looked like a huge version of an apple.  But it tasted like a pear.  And it had a different, weird kind of texture.  Hard to explain it.  But it was super good. And cheap.
  • Maaaybbeeee a pair of shoes (?) winter is coming (as stated about a thousand times already).  I'm scared.  All the other foreign workers were telling me about how cold it gets here.  Sigh.  The weather was so perfect today why couldn't it just stay like that forever.
Things I will do (tonight or tomorrow night)

  • Join my friends' (they coined the following term) "mermaid club/gang" at the local swimming pool.  Apparently if you go at night it costs like $30 quai and they all describe the swimming facilities as "huge and sweet".  Whatever that means.  But I'm sure if by western standards it is "sweet" then it must be so.  I saw the outside of the building once and it did look "huge" so I'm confident that the mermaid gang is going to be a pretty big deal.
  • Have a calligraphy party.  We are all planning on meeting at one of our apartments for a few hours and just do calligraphy together.  With tea.  And zen music.  Sounds pretty awesome right?  I know.  I'm excited.
  • Other future plans include a trip to some kind of market.  Where things are super cheap.  Oh yeah that reminds me we went to the electronic market recently and guess how much the cheapest laptop costs there???? FOUR HUNDRED YUEN!!!!!! I still can't believe it.  That's like $67 Canadian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment