Monday 17 September 2012

Confidence Booster of a Lifetime

The first year university kids (and anyone at that age) have been going through military training and they all got back from their training program and into the university about a week or two ago.  Since then, the campus has been a site of military training activities, with hundreds (maybe even thousands in total?) of kids sitting in neatly organized rows, awaiting their leader's decisions on the streets, some of them chanting songs (usually repeating after a leader) or marching in perfect unison or performing other duties in their uniforms.  To me, this activity doesn't look like much more than summer camp (at least as I remember it haha!), early morning runs, discipline, songs, and camaraderie.  Ah, the visions of my youth flash by as I sit here typing this little scene out for you to read.  The lieutenants barely look much older than I am and they aren't strict, in fact, they seem to feel a sense of belonging with the new trainees and vice versa.  When I walk past, sometimes a few of them tip their hats and say "hello!" with big smiles or "ni hao!" with a wave.  I always give a big smile and greet them back.  Never have I walked by without at least some of the kids straining their necks and their jaws dropping to see me.
One morning, a few days ago, I was walking home from the office with my bags and I was feeling pretty tired.  The sun, however, was absolutely glorious and I couldn't help but feel my spirits soaring as I walked through the beautiful campus, passing by the lake and all the greenery around me.  And then, I turned a corner and stumbled upon a dramatic scene of probably around 500 young soldiers starring at me in their blue and green camouflage uniforms on and as I walked by, a small number of them started to say "hello!" to me and so I smiled, waved, and said "hello!" right back.  Before I knew it, all of the soldiers waved and erupted in big cheers of HELLO!!! HELLOOO!!!! to me with big big smiles.  I felt so humbled and flattered that all of these people were paying so much attention to me.  I just burst into a big smile and waved as I rushed out of their area to allow them to continue on with their activities.  Chances are, some of them will be in at least one of my college classes.  I start teaching three different first year college classes next week.  It feels good to know that at least some of them will already be interested in interacting with me at the start of the term.

No comments:

Post a Comment